Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Stickie Quotes

One of the things I LOVE about the Mac OS is a little desktop feature called “Stickies.” For those who’ve neither shared in nor witnessed the Joy of Mac, “Stickies” is exactly what it sounds like – little virtual Post-It notes for your virtual desktop. I find them endlessly useful.

One of the things I do with them is save cool quotes I come upon while online. I could paste these quotes into an ongoing Word file or something, sure. But just throwing the quote onto a Stickie is so much more convenient. Back in the days before Stickies, I’d use the Mac’s “Notebook” in the same way. It’s all about convenience.

Well, I’m doing some virtual desk cleaning and I want to cut back the number of Stickies on my desktop. Like their material namesake, they do tend to accumulate. And even though you can collapse a virtual Stickie into just a title bar, they still take up space. So before they vanish with a click, here are a couple of quotes I’ve had sitting on my iMac for a while now.

"I don't think homosexuality is a choice. Society forces you to think it's a choice, but in fact, it's in one's nature. The choice is whether one expresses one's nature truthfully or spends the rest of one's life lying about it."
-- Marlo Thomas

“Note: In the spirit of the epic yet mysterious turning point you're at, Virgo, I'm providing you with an extravagant yet cryptic oracle. Read it with the nonlinear side of your brain. Your escape from the false "home" is imminent. Are you ready to change about 10 percent of your mind about who you really are and about 20 percent of your mind about where you truly belong? Regard it as a lucky sign if the prospect of fresh freedom rouses an ancient fear. It means you're close to finding the lost key to the kingdom of childhood, which is also the key to the secret garden of adulthood.”
-- Rob Brezney’s Free Will Astrology

“No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.”
-- P. J. O'Rourke

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

That Marlo Thomas quote is interesting. At first glance - my reaction was - "Wow, I didn't realize she was so liberal." Then I realized she is married to Phil Donahue. And she did produce "Free To Be You And Me" - which can take on a whole new meaning in our time. That Girl sure does get it right.

--*Rob

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home