Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Caesar Months Suck

July. August.

In the five-day forecast on both my desktop weather Widgets, none of the daily temperatures is below 80°F. Most are in the high 80s. Several tip 90°. Hell, even the nighttime lows are all above 65°; that's warmer than the highest I heat my home in the winter months.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. My opinion is this sucks.

I don't like hot weather. I don't do well in hot weather. When the temperature gets within 20° of my natural internal body temperature (which is around 97°), I begin to aestivate. To complicate things yet more, there's a point soon into the 80s when I can't get comfortable and can't sleep.

Why am I kvetching about this? Well, other than maintaining a long-standing tradition, I have an immediate motivation -- my air condition has died.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been able to keep at least part of the house below 80°. Right now, it's 82° outside and there's a 1° difference between that and and the thermometer on the bookshelf next to me. The sun hasn't hit this side of the house yet.

Even now, I can feel my wallet shift in my pocket as my credit card cringes, but there may not be an option.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Aitala said...

Having lived in a pretty warm climate - Mississippi - I have always found it funny that I have always been more comfortable down there than any of the Northern places (PA, IL, and MI) I have lived.

Why?

Because virtually every place down South has central AC while no place I have lived in the North has had it - only wall or window units. The dorm I lived in at Michigan State had no AC whatsoever despite it getting into the 90s regularly. Heck, they first day I was there they had a power failure on campus because of the other buildings which did have AC. Which made moving into the fifth floor interesting w/o elevators.

I found it took me about six months to adjust to the Mississippi climate - after that it was pretty easy to deal with being outside as long as there was somewhere cool to go after a bit.

Eric

2:23 PM  
Blogger Greg! said...

Yeah, I can deal with the heat outside, so long as I'm going from one comfortably cool place to another.

Even at Folk Fest, being outside all the time for several days, it usually gets nice enough at night that I'm not solidly miserable.

But really, I could be happy if it never got above 78°.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home