Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

We love you, Spider


I subscribe to this
quote-of-the-day website mailing. Sometimes I get great stuff, often enough that it's worth the quick read before I delete the e-mail. This showed up the other day:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for journalism.
Warren Ellis
(1968 - )
English Author of Comics, Novels and Television

I'm 99 44/100% certain those words came from the mouth of Spider Jerusalem. (Actually, I'd make that 100% certain were it not for the fact that I don't trust anything on the interweb 100% but don't have the time to re-read all my issues of Transmetropolitan to confirm the quote. (But now that I mention it, I think I'd quite enjoy reading Transmet again; it's a series I miss.)) Spider -- and, I infer, Ellis -- would probably feel a mixture of flattery, amusement and contempt at learning he's being quoted in the same place as Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Incidentally, today's Solzhenitsyn quote was pretty good in its own right:

One should never direct people towards happiness, because happiness too is an idol of the market-place. One should direct them towards mutual affection. A beast gnawing at its prey can be happy too, but only human beings can feel affection for each other, and this is the highest achievement they can aspire to.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
(1918-2008)
Russian Novelist


2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Heath said...

I'm just about as sure as you are about that being a true Transmet quote. Ironically, I recently loaned the entire series to a friend whom I hope will eventually learn the meaning of the Slozhenitsyn quote.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Rob S. said...

Spider! He is our hero!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home