Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Things To Do

When I'm putting things from my work schedule into my Palm, or onto almost any calendar, for that matter, I use abbreviations for show titles. Sure, if you have something like "Wit" or "Proof" there's not need, and for shows like "The Crucible" it's merely a matter of removing the article to make it a one-word title. No big deal.

But for some reason this coming season features a bunch of shows with longish titles, none of which seem to abbreviate cleanly. "Something You Did" and "Walk Together, Children," for example. What ends up on my calendar? Things like "focus Something" and "hang Children." Hell, even Moliere's "Imaginary Invalid" has given rise to potential "Imaginary tech" and "Invalid plot" and so on.

Of course, such titles as these also provide greater opportunity for my title-mangling humor. I'm sure the perfect chance to mention "Someone You Did" will pop up sooner or later, and I've already been having fun with "Anne of Green Gables."

"Anne Who Cleans Stables"
"Anne Who Waits Tables"
"Anne Who Licks Labels"
and the admittedly esotric "Anne Who Coils Cables"
There were more, but I can't remember them just now.

And I confess to enjoying the fact that I have a listing for "strike Anne" on my calendar. It's almost -- almost -- as odd as "strike Children."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home