Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Aww, c'mon!

If nothing else, you'd think the universe would occasionally cut me a break, if only to fuck with my mind a little.

But, no. If there's one thing I can rely on (and I've begun to think there really is only the one), it's the certainty that stuff will go wrong in my life at either a point when I might otherwise actually stand a chance of enjoying something or at a point when I can least afford to deal with the going wrong of the particular thing that goes wrong. Unless, of course, it's possible to meet both criteria at the same time.

I think we just scored on that last one again.

I've had a few long days doing tech for the Theatre School's Adult Ensemble one-acts. Tonight was the final performance, in which we took just one of the three one-acts to Kendal retirement community. Limited space, very limited time, severely limited tech. And a good time was had by all.

Until I tried to leave.

The truck had pulled this odd routine of not turning over once earlier this week, but then shrugged it off without apparent explanation and started fine throughout the rest of the week. Why not wait until it's 9:30 on a Sunday night and we're in a parking lot that's closer to Delaware than to my house before pulling the stunt again and this time sticking with it?

Yes, it could have been worse. But that glib truism hasn't been of any use as consolation for quite some time, ever since I came to understand that no matter how bad things are at any given moment they can always be worse.

So I'm now at home (special thanks to Sara for the lift!) and my truck is in the parking lot at Kendal. I'll deal with this when it's daylight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Greg-
I had a car that would not turn over from time to time. If you waited a while it would finally turn over.

The final straw was when it "broke down" in front of the Grand Hyatt in DC. I assured them that if they gave it a half hour it would be fine. No go I was "blocking" the entry.

So the car was towed- to a garage, that could find nothing wrong.

So I told them to replace the battery- never had a problem again.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Rob S. said...

Ugh. Good luck, man.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home