Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Do The Hustle... DO IT !

I'm a little late in posting this, but it's still in time for the coming weekend.
See Kung Fu Hustle. I did, and I'm a better man for it. Well, at least "better" in the sense of more thoroughly entertained than I would be otherwise. This movie is just silly, silly fun. On some giddy cocktail of steroids, martial arts and amphetamines.
I've gotta hunt up Shao Lin Soccer, from the same director. SLS got heavily teasered a couple of years ago, but I don't think it ever had a wide release. It looks like KFH is being handled a little better.
The theater wasn't crowded when we saw it (8:05 show last Friday evening), but I think what audience was there knew what they were looking for and got what they expected to find from the movie (unlike the folks near me in Sin City who walked out part way thru).
What the heavy rotation ads don't mention is that the film's subtitled. That's not a problem, of course, and the movie plays much better this way (I feel like dubbing would push the kitsch factor over the edge of fun into corny or camp). The other thing that's sort of misleading about those TV ads is the music: yes, there is a dance number (the notorious Axe Gang join the Sharks and Jets among the ranks of street gangs with killer choreography) but, no, there's no '80s music. The ads feature "Ballroom Blitz." It's no where in the movie. Again, that's not a problem, but on the way home I suddenly realized that after days of having that song in my head from the TV ads I never heard it in the film.
Now that I think of it, maybe it's the aftereffects of seeing KFH that have me watching Godzilla movies again -- but that's for another post...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Most fun I've had at a movie in some time. Laugh out loud funny. I'm going again. Might take Lydia... 5 1/2 is old enough, right?

2:22 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I wish more people would read this blog and post here. Nice output of late, Greg. Putting me to shame, I might add.

Somehow a copy of Gong Fu (see imdb.com) has come into my possession. I'm going to really look close to see what gives it the R rating. I've already remembered a few scenes that maybe a kid shouldn't have to see.

Maybe I can edit the thing to VHS and cut out the "nasty bits" so my kid can enjoy it too. She already loves Godzilla and Ultraman. :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Greg! said...

"She already loves Godzilla and Ultraman..."

As well she should. G rules!
Toho has been at it again in this millennium, and a few of the post-2000 flicks are available on DVD in the U.S. already, although it'll be a good while before the blog gets around to those at the rate I'm going just now. (It's been weeks since I watched Godzilla vs Mothra, and I still haven't written; I may have to watch it again before I can riff on it...)

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am about to show you a way that you can generate thousands of keyword targeted links back to your web site starting today!

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home