Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Monday, November 24, 2008

Greg wonders...

... why are there no classic Warner Bros. cartoons on TV these days?

Of course, I could be wrong about this. It may be that I've not stumbled across them. But I have a day off from work today, and the TV is blathering in the background for company as I get things done around the house (or, as is the case at the moment, procrastinate by wasting time online) and in my aimless channel surfing I passed some old MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons. (I also passed something on USA that featured the hilarious out-of-context line "That woman is a Godless multiculturalist.") The Tom & Jerry made me think, "hey, I haven't seen Looney Tunes or any such on TV in quite a while," and got me to wondering why?

There's a little empty spot in my soul, which aches to be filled periodically by Bugs Bunny. And muppets.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric Aitala said...

I think over the years the Looney Toons cartoons got so cut up that they were not worth watching, in that form.

Think of all the 1940s / 1950s references that would make no sense anymore. Then toss in the 'OMG, cartoon violence!' morons... and I'd be surprised to see any old cartoons on TV anymore...

E

1:12 PM  
Blogger Rob S. said...

DVD is the place to find them. The Looney Toons Golden collections are terrific.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

As for Bugs - I think maybe there's too much choice in cartoons on TV for kids - and that is who usually sustains the cartoon watching ratings. It's no profitable to show cartoons like Warner anymore.

For the Muppets - They were on two Disney Channel specials in the past two months - and even though they were teamed up with Disney Channel stars like Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, the HSM cast and Wizards of Waverly place - they WERE STILL really funny. The specials were called Studio DC: Almost live. One aired in August, one in October. They may re-air them from time to time, so see if you can catch them.

--*Rob

9:38 AM  
Blogger Greg! said...

It took me a few moments to clue that HSM is High School Musical. I guess that's a good sign...

12:34 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I only know this because I have a 5 year old who watches the Disney channel for other things, and I saw the promos in between the shows she watches (which are none of those tween-themed shows).

It's too bad that Disney doesn't see fit to make it a regular series, because it was very well done, in kind of a similar style to Muppets Tonight. Backstage at a TV show kind of thing. While it wasn't totally Muppet focused, it managed to marry the Disney stuff and the Muppets well.

It was fun to see Kermit do a musical number with Ashley Tisdale and Miss Piggy with the Cheetah Girls. Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Swedish Chef, Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker, and the Electric Mayhem (backing Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus together) were all there.

It is all up on Youtube - just search for Studio DC Almost Live and you'll get it all in parts.

--*Rob

2:42 PM  
Blogger Eric Aitala said...

Hmm.. http://www.metafilter.com/76928/Whats-up-doc

Eric

1:08 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Great title - how did I miss this as a kid?

Daffy

TinyURL'd

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home