Define "a Life"...

... still searching for a clear definition of that thing people keep telling me I need to get...

Name:
Location: Springfield, PA

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Welcome in Another Year...

... and let the old one burn.


"It
was the year of fire...
the year of destruction...
the year we took back what was ours.
It was the year of rebirth...
the year of great sadness...
the year of pain...
and the year of joy.
It was a new age.
It was the end of history.
It was the year everything changed."



Babylon 5 was referring to the year 2261, the fourth year of the series. The overall title for Season Four was "No Surrender, No Retreat." That about sums it up. Hello, 2008.


5 Comments:

Blogger Eric Aitala said...

Hopefully, 2008 will not be as dramatic as that season of B5.

You ought to get a Facebook account to see pics of Angie in a glider...

1:22 PM  
Blogger  Jolie said...

I thought the year your Jeep burned was the year of fire.

You've posted the verse for the year you didn't want. Could you post a verse for the year you do want?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Greg! said...

Actually, this is the verse for the year I do want. Well, both the year I want and the year I expect.

The past year was a year of retreat, of giving myself space and time and permission to cut myself a hell of a lot of slack. It was a year of postponement, of saying "I'm not ready to deal with this yet" more times and to more things than I could count. It was a year that by its end left little room for further retreat. The past year ended with two options: change everything, or just give up.

I need 2008 to be different; to be a year that refuses surrender, that renounces retreat, that takes action; a year determinedly devoted to doing what's right and what's good rather than what's easy and what's safe.

I want a year of rebirth; birth, even -- perhaps particularly -- rebirth, does not come without pain.

I want to set in motion the ends of a number of negative things that have persisted or repeated throughout my life. Confronting that history means accepting a lot of sadness. It also means the destruction of some long-standing defenses that have kept me in a toxic safety for too long.

I want to take back what's mine; I hope for a year filled with change, and joy; I'm ready for a new age to begin.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Rob S. said...

Fire me, boy!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Sharon GR said...

And so it begins.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home